Hostel opposite Sydenham Library

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
curlyhead

Hostel opposite Sydenham Library

Post by curlyhead »

Does anyone know what is planned for the hostel at the bottom of Sunnydene St/opposite the library? It has started to be boarded up and seems to be becoming vacant.
tulip1

Post by tulip1 »

Yes I was wondering the same thing the other day. I could well imagine how attractive the buildings would look once they are repaired. Would be interesting to know what the council intends to do with the buildings - seems a shame to allow these buildings deteriorate. I thought the same about the building next to the Wellesley hall which is attracting a lot of fly tipping on its front path. Not exactly a positive welcome on entering Sydenham.
bencooke

Post by bencooke »

I've tried to get the Envirocor team to clean that up by Wesley Hall but they looked at it and because its not on the footpath (but 10cm off it) they won't shift it, doe that building belong to the church next door..if so I thought cleanliness was next to godliness!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The empty place belongs to the council.

From what I gather, they want to knock it down to build more flats rather than refurbish (please correct me if I am wrong) and it's been empty for years.

If you want up to the back gates, you will find a planning notice which has expired, so there were plans to refurbish it, but it seems to have been put on hold.

Why the council, as it seems to be souncil property, can't take the fly tipping away is anyones guess.

Also, if they want to refurbish the building, I'd advise they close the open skylight on the top floor! Water and birds make refurbishment more expensive!

Shame that the council are spending millions on doing up Sydenham road, but are more than happy to let the nabourhood centre and this once handsome building make the place look like a slum.

Surely it's better to fix the cracks before painting?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

It seems to be Lewisham Council policy not to maintain buildings. Lewisham must have a big stash of cash somewhere with all the savings on non-maintenance they have made.
Forest Hill Library is a stunning example of what can be achieved with a bit of careful thought. Right next door is the pools which is an example of what happens when you skimp on maintenance.
lbere

Post by lbere »

Lee, I think you might be getting mixed up (or I may have the wrong end of the stick) I think that you are talking about the building opposite The King Alfred pub and the others are talking about the building opposite Fairlawn Pk (inbetween Sunnydene and Highclere).

The smashed windows were caused by residents and I think that after repairing them a couple of times the council moved them out.

Shame the council could not do something about the drains outside these properties.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi, I was responding to the post directly above me which was about the building next to wesley hall. ;-)
Richie

Post by Richie »

I didn't realise that was a hostel, I assumed it was private residences due to the ridiculous mounts of satellite dishes that seem to be attached to the outside. I have walked past it so many times and though to myself I ought to email the council about it. The drains are often overflowing, the wiring on the outside of the building looks decidedly unsafe, and the fencing and general upkeep it appalling. It woudl really help to tidy up that bit of Sydenham if they refurbished this building, or pulled it down!
lbere

Post by lbere »

Hi, I dont think its a hostel, just council housing.

Sorry Lee :oops:
leaf

Post by leaf »

It was always temporary housing of the hostel sort for homeless families.

It always was a sh1thole

My mum knew a woman over 20 yrs ago who had the misfortune of being placed there and it was appaling then, time doesnt seem to have improve it.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I walked past the 'hostel' or whatever it is next to the Highclere Bus Stop the other day. They've started bricking half the windows up as well as boarding up the other half.

Does anyone know who to complain about it, it makes the area look like a slum, does the council own it, if they do it's a disgrace how badly they are looking after it?
parker

Post by parker »

Ronski wrote:Does anyone know who to complain about it, it makes the area look like a slum
The area is a slum
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Steady on old chap, I live opposite in Fairlawn Park!

But yes, to a point I agree, it needs to..oh hell, this is another subject, but will someone raise this at the assembly tomorrow night as I am not sure I can make it in time.

Basically the council has to sort some things out.

1. The hostel opposite the Highclere bus stop needs sorting out. They can't let it look like a slum.

2. They seriously need to sort out the house at the top of kent house road. I thought there was a housing shortage?! Why cant they convert this into flats, rent it out or sell it to someone who can if the council can't. Developers are looking for opportunities (yes, even now).

3. Oh, and don't get me started on the high street! Strategy, help, advice and inspiration for shop owners etc.