Station Shop

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
fishcox

Station Shop

Post by fishcox »

Popped in this morning, to get my paper, and - as often - was short of the requisite cash.

As always, I asked the usual question 'Is it okay to pay for two tomorrow?' only to be told that today is their last day of trading.

Gutted.

Due primarily to the new station operators, London Overground, and their unwillingness to help, they have decided its not worth carrying on.
simon

Re: Station Shop

Post by simon »

Yes I heard that yesterday. I hope Stuart can find another job.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

That is really, really rubbish news!!! We'll probably end up with some tosh chainnie coffee shop/newsagent like they have at most stations now. That's saddened me.

G-Man
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

I would imagine the coming of the Metro to Sydenham was the death knell for him. If you pop in for a paper, you're just as likely to pick up a drink, a snack, some chewing gum, etc. If you're clutching a freebie Metro theres no need to go in for a paper....

Bet people will miss his hot drinks when the mornings get a bit colder.

Totally agree with OP, very sad.
Bram

Post by Bram »

I would imagine the coming of the Metro to Sydenham was the death knell for him
Welcome to Planet Sydenham, where more people passing through is bad for trade :roll:
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

eh? :D
Bram

Post by Bram »

The Metro is there because there are more people passing through - and a trader who can't make money out of the increased footfall does not deserve to stay in business.
simon

Post by simon »

Bram wrote:The Metro is there because there are more people passing through - and a trader who can't make money out of the increased footfall does not deserve to stay in business.
Business at the shop declined when it was resited because of the station refurbishment. What it couldn't survive was the massive increase in rent that Southern were demanding. With Southern demanding that, I would be surprised if anyone can make a go of it.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Southern? I thought London Overground operated the station now?
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I won't miss his foul mouth... he used to stand outside a lot with a right scruffy looking lad who I think worked for Southern Railway. The language was terrible.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Another victim of those ridiculous gates.... I missed a train the other day because there was Boone there to open one in time for me.

I always found the man to be polite and helpful. It's a real shame it's gone. I used to like my morning coffee from there.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Boon(e) as in Michael Elphick?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Bloomin' poxy iPhone keyboard... "no-one"

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

Hopefully this means that they can knock through the wall and put in a couple more barriers so that we can get out of the station in the evening instead of waiting for *that* person whose Oyster card has stopped working, holding everyone up.
Katebubble

Post by Katebubble »

Ohhh you are kidding?! I thought he may have just gone on holidays or something!
Genuinely gutted, never had anything but good service when I popped in for a bottle of water in the mornings - always cheerful and friendly.
Grrr!! :cry: