Quick routes into town

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Richie

Quick routes into town

Post by Richie »

Hi all,

I've just moved to the area and live towards the end of Sydenham Road towards the Library. I work in the Tottenham Court Road area and have been finding the commute to work fairly long. Could anyone tell me the best route in? Currently I have tried walking to Sydenham station, getting to London Bridge and catching the tube but it has been taking roughly an hour.

thanks in advance!
user100

Post by user100 »

Depending on where exactly you live and where exactly you work, you might find it handier, nicer (and a LOT) cheaper to get a train at Lower Sydenham to Charing X and then walk the last bit.

Don't think it will be shorter in terms of time though.

Your season ticket would be much cheaper if you just get it for that single route, instead of for x-zones.

If you don't want to walk at the end, just jump on the northern line.

Or use a bike at one or both ends.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

User 100 is right - get to Charing Cross and walk.

If you don't want to walk, the 24 or 29 buses both go up Charing Cross Road and along the length of Tottenham Cross Road. Catch the 24 just outside Charing X station and the 29 outside the National Portrait Gallery. The 29 is the quickest (the 24 goes round Trafalgar Square which can often take some time).
mosy

Post by mosy »

I can't add to the options already put forward, just wanted to say that it is healthy to do between 5,000 and 10,000 steps a day, which is very difficult for people who have inactive jobs, so perhaps consider feeling happy and proud that the walking time is actually time well spent? :)

That won't reduce travel time, but it does help reduce stress from thinking that it's a waste of valuable time. 8)