Sports Direct is next in line to arrive in Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Re: Sports Direct is next in line to arrive in Sydenham

Post by leenewham »

Steve, many 'brands' in Sports Direct are owned by Sports Direct and as such are their own brands.

These include: Dunlop, Slazenger, Karrimor, Kangol, Lonsdale and Donnay. As with most things these days, they are made to their specifications by factories all over the world to a budget. Hardly any brands have their own factories. Sports direct have the responsability for their manufacture. There is no excuse for paying workers £1 a day. Many of their garments leave the factory with the 70% off labels attached. The 70% off is the normal price, they still make a profit on them. Garments costing £13 have been found to cost 25p to manufacture (I find this figure astonishing).

They own 5% of Amer Sports, the world's largest sporting goods manufacturer.

So they are a manufacturer. That's how they make their money!

They are also a retailer.

90% of the company's 23,000 employees are on zero hours contracts. This means staff do not know how many hours they will work from one week to the next, have no sick or holiday pay, and no guarantee of regular work. (Source: The Guardian).

And yes, I've been in a Sports Direct Shop in the past. But I don't shop there any more.
Colonel Abrams

Post by Colonel Abrams »

Sydenham will really have arrived when a Pizza Express opens on the high street ......
Colonel Abrams

Post by Colonel Abrams »

Gap in the Market?
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Colonel Abrams wrote:Sydenham will really have arrived when a Pizza Express opens on the high street ......
I quite like Pizza Express. But I would be very sad if they did arrive and drive Trattoria Raffaele out of business
parker

Post by parker »

I think the only way The Greyhound site will be a success is if a chain like Pizza Express rebuilds it. I can not imagine it being a pub, it's too small now... Wetherspoon could throw some money into it but it's just too small. I also think Pizza Express will only want to get involved in something like 3 years time when perhaps something like a Caffe Nero opens in the high road to kick start that caliber of business.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

How as a post about something called Sports Direct gotten back to The Greyhound.

Have we not got enough posts about the once famous pub which should be pulled down.
parker

Post by parker »

Eagle you have a habit of staying that on most threads. It's a bit boring to be honest. Other posts in THIS thread were referring to Pizza Express, I mention The Greyhound as I approached them about that site a couple of years ago...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Colonel Abrams

Post by Colonel Abrams »

Just passed the Miami Chicken place (near the Cake Store on the High Street) and they had a sign saying a new shop would be opening on that site called errr kebab chicken or something. Theres also a jerk chicken restaurant opening soon opposite Lidl. Is this the only demand on Sydenham high st?