Machray chemist

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
conejito

Machray chemist

Post by conejito »

Hello,

Does anyone know anything about the old Machray Chemist on the high street opposite silverdale road?

it looks like a great little shop with a history... and i cant even peek through the windows... its been sitting empty since i have been living here (just over a year)

thanks

Lee
Jules

Post by Jules »

The shop has been empty for about 10 years.
It's great inside a really old fashioned chemist, but very small.
Someone on the forum suggested it would make a neat old fashioned sweet shop and it would.
The rent on the property is about £15,000 per year !
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Strange that the owner could afford to miss out on £150,000 in rent
(I suppose they're not too fussed because the property itself was making more)

But even getting half that would have made more sense, and been much better for the high street
Jules

Post by Jules »

It's a crazy world.
I wonder how that rent compares to others?
sophie

Post by sophie »

I've been thinking about that as well and was just talking about this shop the other day. Downstairs they have a couple of rooms and a kitchenette plus shower room. It would be a good place for a beauty salon of some description but as we've already got a few of those in the area we need something new. If the rents on the highstreet are too expensive it stops independent retailers setting things up. I know landlords have to make money but surely they can't afford to have a place empty for years though
conejito

Post by conejito »

well, theres an empty shop a few doors down the road, and the rent there is £13,000 a year - according to the agents website...

the chemist does look like a really nice place to have a shop that would preserve the traditional features... i would like to see inside...
poppy

Macharay chemist

Post by poppy »

I saw some lights on in there on Monday afternoon about 4ish - I wonder if anything is happening with it.