And the next Admin will be ...

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

And the next Admin will be ...

Post by admin »

I've run this website for 15 years and the forum for 11. Time to move on.

I'd like to think the enterprise has been a modest success and got bits of SE26 talking to each other and sharing information that otherwise wouldn't have happened. But I have to admit to one outstanding failure .... to have a succession plan.

I need one if it isn't going to fold. There's no panic - it can take as long as needed but I do need a plan. That means a person or a small group of people who would have the trust of you all - well nearly all. It could carry on 'as is' or shoot off in new directions. I'm open to any and all suggestions for STF Mk2.

Feel free to ask any questions. But most of all who do we get to run it?

Admin
Robin Orton

Re: And the next Admin will be ...

Post by Robin Orton »

This is very bad (though perhaps not unexpected) news for the forum. My immediate thought was that Stuart will be an impossible act to follow.

What's the job description and person spec?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Robin Orton wrote:What's the job description and person spec?
That's for next Admin(s) to determine. Taking responsibility is the bottom line. How much they do themselves and how much they delegate is their decision. If it helps - they don't have to be technically competent. I, or someone else, can sustain the infrastructure to make the thing work.

Admin - and don't call me Stuart :oops:
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I am surprised not to have seen more comments on this. Perhaps PMs from aspirant successors to Eric (Admin - is that a better name?) are flying around behind the scenes. I hope so.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nope - a deafening silence.

Many posters criticise Lewisham when they can't get their act together so I'm holding up a selfie stick. This is a community asset only if the community wants it. Do we want it enough to try and find a way out of this? I'm deliberately not trying to make it difficult.

Ideas please. It doesn't have to be one person. Any help, not matter how limited, would be very much appreciated and could be part of the solution. Post or PM as you feel best.

Admin
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Let's be brutal about this, Eric.

You're one in a million, with your combination of moderator skills, commuity spirit, independence, technical ability and willingness, hitherto, to accept the legal and financial responsibilities of running this Forum.

I would be interested in meeting you and others to talk more about STF 2.0, but I'm told the question is sometimes whether people are willing to meet me :)
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Assuming our house-move goes ahead and I do indeed become a Sydenham resident on Fri 9 October, I would be happy to have some involvement ... this forum has helped me make the decision to move to the area, after all.

But I really don't know what's required...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you monkeyarms. There are lots of opportunities - from the banal to brutal dictatorship.

The non-technical task which is essential is patrolling new posts for spam. It comes in splurges. Nothing for weeks and then several a day. Its a case of zapping them on sight. Its as simple as logging in, finding the post and hitting the 'X' button above it. I have a system that alerts me to dodgy stuff. But you need to check it out before breakfast every day 'cos the spammers mostly come from more easterly time zones. And some get sore when zapped and come back during the day (their bonus probably depends on it). If two or three people could share that task it would keep the board clean.

Anybody capable of posting could do that.

The other important non-technical task is moderation. There isn't much proper 'moderation' to do if you carry on 'as is'. That's 'cos most people are well behaved and a friendly PM to remind them of the guidelines when they have, perhaps, gone a bit too far allows them to self moderate which is much better. Off topic stuff can be moved. Town Pub is there for stuff that gets too heavy for polite conversation. Never moderate if you can avoid it. People don't like being mucked about.

This calls for someone with discretion, the occasional Nelsonian Eye, and to try and see the post from the poster's viewpoint. The poster will think it reasonable however unreasonable others may see it. Trying to stay starkly independent when your heart is not is the hardest trick.

Finally there is the Administrator. Responsible for policy, the structure of the forums and as much - or as little - of the technical side as they wish. Nothing has to be done immediately other than to see the other two tasks above are happening. But the current structure is only my view of what would work best. They may see a better way and how it could be integrated with other social media. Or simply market it better so we getter a richer and more diverse range of posters. The person(s) would probably have run another forum, or a heavy contributor to several or run a blog and have a feel for what works and doesn't in this peculiar medium.

That's a quick overview. Anybody who posts regularly on here obviously has the time to do one or more of those tasks!

Admin
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I'd be happy to look after moderation (outside the pub) as I do this already on another forum board. Whether I would have the expertise to be full admin I am not sure, though I was admin of a small gaming community forum before where setting up new boards and adjusting posting read/write priveleges, enabling bb code and embeds etc etc.
_HB

Post by _HB »

I'd be happy to take on some of the work, though probably not the modding of the more tasty conversations 8)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Emails sent. And thank you for the PMs received. It would be good to have a spread of people to balance the SE26 demographic so please do add your names to what is still a very short list.

Admin
mikej

Post by mikej »

I'd be more than happy to assist with this dear Admin. You've done a great job and I would like this show to continue!
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

best wish to admin. alway do good job here. this is big shoes to fill. :)
Maria

Post by Maria »

Someone who can diffuse conflict with grace, counter anger with humour, maintain us informed and on the ball, keep us from losing sight of the fact this is only a forum, not a matter of life or death... and who has no time for tribalism but at all times supports conciliation - this is what we have got used to being offered effortlessly so far, so yes I agree Alburt, definitely big shoes to fill....

...but please let's not allow this vital resource to dwindle to a few adverts, passing notes & odd remarks: we do need it in Sydenham.
Only sorry I can't at the moment play a role myself: but loads more of others perhaps?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I would just like to add my vote of thanks to Admin for a very successful forum - there can be no doubt that it continues to be useful , informative and amusing .
It is also a much needed portal to those wishing to take up residence in our rather special town.
Much appreciated and thank you .
A very good evening
Nigel
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you for those who have responded positively. Plus all those that haven't quite got round to it yet ...

Diaries out! The next move is to invite you all to a meeting for me to explain how STF runs, how you as part of a small group can help manage and then take over STF in your own time. I'm thinking Monday 26th or Thursday 29th October or possibly both. Probably 7.30 for 8pm at a Sydenham Road venue. The Dolphin can be a bit busy and noisy, I haven't been to the Golden Lion since they turned down the music so that could be a possibility. Any better suggestions?

Please PM me on which dates suit you best. This meeting is open to all that are interested or can be co-coerced.

Admin
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

How about On the Hoof, Foxes or the Bricklayers Arms?

I would be happy to volunteer my services but I live in Penge, although I spend most of my time in Sydenham due to family having lived and still living there for many years.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

topofthehill wrote:... but I live in Penge
Shhhhh - our border controls are quite lax. Just don't mention the bungalow murders :wink:

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The first meet is fixed for Monday 26th October 7.30 for 8pm at xxx xxxxxx xxxx Beer Rebellion. A chance for those who have not been to sample the new layout and for the management to impress us with convivial surroundings (hint keep the music level down).

7.30 (or earlier) to 8pm is a social for people to get to know each other with the real discussion starting 8pm sharp. All are welcome to attend whether you are offering to help or not. I hope by the end we will have a small group formed who can be trusted to take the handover further. But don't panic if you can't make it just let me know and we can meet later.

Looking after STF is not onerous if shared and mainly requires the infrequent application of common sense with a thick coating of tact. A small group can divide the tasks to each's convenience and share any challenging decisions. But you knew that already ...

See you there. A pink Financial Times on the table will mark the spot. Any questions?

Admin

EDIT: Venue changed
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I was actually thinking about visiting the Golden Lion anyway, as an ex-publican I wanted to check it out for myself.

See you there.