New shop in sydenahm instead of HSBC

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
superman176

New shop in sydenahm instead of HSBC

Post by superman176 »

Hi im new and would like a Fish and Chip Shop in sydenham, think about a nice Cod and Chips (YUM YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!) after a good nightout...or What about a Tv Video Shop like Dixions/Comet or even a HMV instead of having to go to Bromley or Croydon...
DigitalFX

Chip Shop

Post by DigitalFX »

Hi Superman.

Love the name buy the way.......

Yes a really good Fish and Chip shop in Sydenham would be great, and I don't mean like the shops that do Kebabs, burgers and god knows what else. Just good old fashioned Fish Chips and pies rapped up in paper.

If the old HSBC bank was to turn into a shop like this imagine coming out of the station on a cold wet evening and the smell of well cooked Fish and Chips comes floating across the road....Ahhhh nice thought.

Sorry, but I do love my food...ha

Gaz
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

There's already one – its 2 doors up from the Cake shop on the corner (I think its called Sunny fish and chips) it looks like another awful fried chicken shop but in fact they do brilliant fish and chips too, in my opinion.

Though I normally go to 'Mermaid' fish and chip shop on Kirkdale (used to be Kentmens) because its nearer to me, its also v. good quality. The cod is always lovely.
poppy

HSBC

Post by poppy »

Shouldn't we be avoiding cod? I know I do. Pollock is a lovely fish when battered but I have only come across it once in a pub in Clerkenwell.
sophie

Post by sophie »

A proper fish and chip shop would be great. I've only tried the one near the cake shop once and it was awful so haven't been back.
Annie

Post by Annie »

ARGOS :D
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Argos?

Does anyone actually know the building we are talking about here?!

:-)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Corner of Sydenham Road & Venner Road (opp Lloyds/TSB).

Admin
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D

Yes thanks, ive only lived here 35 years!
Argos was said a bit tongue in cheek! :wink:
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Personally I would find a posh boutique-type gift shop that also maybe sold clothes would be useful.
DigitalFX

NHS centre

Post by DigitalFX »

Just thinking aloud....

Why does the HSBC need to turn in to a shop....

It could be turned into an NHS walkin centre which would benifit everybody in the area and cut the need to see a GP if non urgent.

Or a counselling / training centre for young people, again this could benifit many of our troubled teens in the area.

Just a thought

Gaz
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

I think the rent at £26k p.a. has some bearing on the type of business which could be run from these premises.
robotfish

Post by robotfish »

A fish & chip shop? Seriously how many new years resolutions would that break? I live in Venner Road and use both Penge East & Sydenham train stations for commuting purposes. Coming out at Penge East to the smell of fish & chips (there is a pretty good chippy in the parade just outside the station) is hell! Do I need that at Sydenham too?

OF COURSE I DO! Someone get hold of the bloke who runs Olleys in Herne Hill & tell him there's a hole that needs filling on our high street.
Jules

Post by Jules »

I heard Argos would be opeining up in Penge. Where the furniture store used to be that has recently closed.
lambchops

Re: NHS centre

Post by lambchops »

DigitalFX wrote:Just thinking aloud....

Why does the HSBC need to turn in to a shop....

It could be turned into an NHS walkin centre which would benifit everybody in the area and cut the need to see a GP if non urgent.

Or a counselling / training centre for young people, again this could benifit many of our troubled teens in the area.

Just a thought

Gaz
I think this is one of the most sensible suggestions so far.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
Do you know what? thats a brilliant idea about the walk in NHS centre

Even better since someone said Argos might be coming to penge! :lol:
user100

Post by user100 »

Yeah either that or a head shop.

There is a huge gap in the market ever since The Hempire closed down.
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

Apparently a planning application to turn it into offices has just been received from the British National Party.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

That's definitely a wind-up!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

As it's such a prominent building surely something a bit more aspirational than an NHS walk in centre would be better!

A walk in centre needs more room anyway. I'm all for a walk in centre in Sydenham. But not in that building, it should be retail and hopefully something that looks like a great asset to the high street!

-----------
As this thread largely duplicates another thread I have closed it.
Follow on at: http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1611