SE26 now has its Indoor Market

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
lbere

SE26 now has its Indoor Market

Post by lbere »

Hi,
This is now open opposite Peartree Nursing home (by the tyre shop that I just cant think of the name off).
Its a lovely addition to our High Street, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It reminds me of the film 'Hostel'.

These guys really know how to entice a customer.
davegr

Post by davegr »

Sydenham High Street just keeps getting better and better!!!

Pound shops, greasy spoons, nail bars and second hand furniture shops.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

What stalls are there in the new indoor market?
lbere

Post by lbere »

Sorry, my tongue was firmly in the side of my mouth. Its awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

When I read the post, I thought that it was something to do with the proposals for a market in the old delivery office, which is incidentally something that I'm really looking forward to!

So, what has actually just opened on the High Street?
lbere

Post by lbere »

Hi, really sorry to mislead you.
:(
It bills its self as 'Indoor Market' but really its a jumble sale. Its awful. It used to be the second hand furniture two shops up from where the big red lorries go in and out off, towards the High Street.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Regarding the possibility of an REAL indoor market, what would people like to see in one, if one did happen. Perhaps?
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

leenewham wrote:Regarding the possibility of an REAL indoor market, what would people like to see in one, if one did happen. Perhaps?
I'd have two main requests:
Food, ie fresh produce along the lines of Borough Market.
Good quality, unique, homewares and clothing.
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

Yes i agree fully with you, maybe some clothing too.
I would definitely use it for food. A fishmongers would be welcome in sydnham and the surronding area's.
Apart from the expensive Moxon's in East Dulwich i can't think of any others.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

leenewham wrote:Regarding the possibility of an REAL indoor market, what would people like to see in one, if one did happen. Perhaps?
I'd like to see:

- a fishmonger with fresh products
- a knowledgable butcher
- organic fruit and veg
- good quality, unique homeware EDIT: didn't realise that I've worded that in exactly the same as natbeuk, it took me a few attempts to describe what I meant too!
- at weekends, hot food stalls (like the chorizo sandwich stall in Borough market!)

I'd be willing to pay a premium to get all of the above in one place.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Great minds think alike Chazza :wink:

I second the idea of hot food stalls, there's a few at Borough that do it brilliantly. Also, I love the free samples that a lot of the stallholders do there. Borough has a great, buzzing atmosphere and people flock to it.. imagine if something similar could be created in Sydenham
:?: :?: :?:
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Chazza wrote: I'd like to see:

- a knowledgable butcher
- organic fruit and veg
- good quality, unique homeware EDIT: didn't realise that I've worded that in exactly the same as natbeuk, it took me a few attempts to describe what I meant too!
- at weekends, hot food stalls (like the chorizo sandwich stall in Borough market!)

The funny thing is is that some 15 years ago we had all of the above in the high street (save "hot food stalls" I believe)
Blushingsnail

Post by Blushingsnail »

What is 'unique homeware'?

There's a fishmonger operating from a van in Forest Hill every Thursday morning next to WH Smith. If Sydenham can't attract a permanent fishmonger then perhaps a mobile one might be the next best thing? Is there anywhere prominent that a mobile fishmonger could operate from at the moment?
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Unique homeware is exactly what it says! Furniture, gadgets, ornamental bits and pieces... hand made, one-offs, small brands...anything that you wouldn't get in your average high street store.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

bensonby wrote:
Chazza wrote: I'd like to see:

- a knowledgable butcher
- organic fruit and veg

The funny thing is is that some 15 years ago we had all of the above in the high street (save "hot food stalls" I believe)
What drove them all away? When did the Sainsbury's open?
I think there's a real movement now to go back to the old high streets though... people are getting sick of generic, bland supermarkets.
poppy

market

Post by poppy »

We have at least two firms who call to our house about twice a year selling fresh fish. I do have a leaflet somewhere and will try and dig it out. We bought lots of smoked haddock from them last time.

Agree with the clothing, food and homewares posts...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

A fishmonger needs to be close to a fruit and veg, which needs to be close to a butcher, which needs to be close to a hardware shop.

That's why supermarkets do well, they put all these elements close together.

That's why farmers markets and Borough market does well.

That's why East Dulwich seems to do well, all these elements are a few minutes walk from one another.

That's why Sydenham high street needs a strategy. We need the right businesses in the right place, not spread out.

If you want a furniture, look in the top part of Tottenham court road. If you want electrics go to the bottom part of Tottenham Court road. If you want clothes go to Oxford Street. Jewelery, go to Hatton Garden.

I go to Sydenham for..er...um...er...

That's why a market would be a great idea selling the things the high street doesn't all together, in one place, with small, local, friendly trader at a reasonable price for quality products.

I love a lot of the suggestions so far, I thought I'd throw in a few more for debate.

• Anyone for toy fair before Christmas in a market?
• How about if you could have a safe place to drop off kids for a few hours in a nursery (paid by the hour) so you could shop in the market or other shops in the high street?
• How about a Christmas market with carols, mulled wine all undercover (there is one in Hyde park currently modeled on the ones you get in Germany and Belgium).
• What about a fashion market, complete with catwalk a few days a week selling end of season stock or creations by fashion students.
• An arts, designer goods and crafts market.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

• Toy fair - boyfriend and I bought niece and nephew presents from a fabulous toyshop in Cranbrook, Kent on the weekend. It sells wonderful, original toys of much higher quality than bog standard toy stores. Also has lots of handmade-style and traditional toys. So something like that in a market would be fab, especially right before Xmas.

• Creche - can't comments as don't have kids!

• Xmas market - absolutely. Could also have other seasonal markets throughout the year with relevant activities/festivities - I'm thinking Easter to Diwali and anything in between.

• Fashion - yep, as per my original post I'd definitely be interested in unique clothing. Maybe there's scope to do something with local colleges - does Lewisham College offer fashion design?

• Arts and crafts - not so interesting to me. I often look at arts and crafts markets, think it's all very nice etc but don't actually buy anything.

I think for this to work it really needs to at least start by focusing on things that are more necessities, which is what makes food, homewares, and possibly clothing, a great starting point. Anything else can be add-ons which may grow in focus given time.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Hello and a happy new year.

I would love to see more of these types of amenities in Sydenham. At the moment myself and the lady travel to East Dulwich every could of weeks to stock up on bits and bobs and it would be nice to have more locally although I am already very loyal to William Rose.

On Sydenham High Street we use the Green Grocers who are very accomodating and great value, we also have a fave pound shop but yes I think we could do with more.

But...Apollo closes we get excited that a new shop is going to open, it does and sells tat but is still busy, another new shop opens...another 'supermarket' - which Istanbuls does alot better...what will the old Chemist be? Will Lloyds become another tat shop or will we see the slow change East Dulwich saw? Therefore, my main question is does Sydenham have the market for it? In this ecenomic climate who knows...

G-Man