Michael Parker...

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Susie1791

Michael Parker...

Post by Susie1791 »

Hi, just wondered if anyone else had a strange phone call from someone claiming to be Michael Parker, a new shop owner in Sydenham. I stupidly took a call today from someone claiming this, but I have a horrible feeling it was a hoax of some kind, he claimed I answered a survey last year on his potential business and he had my name and address, I didn't recall doing this but wasn't overly concerned, he asked me to confirm which part of London I was in, then I should have heard bells ringing but said Sydenham, he said they were sending out vouchers as a thank you for the market help last year and if I was to spend them, on which part of the house would I use it for, front, back or side windows, I know I know, I should have thought this was a very strange question but I had a small baby crying in the background and just said front to get him off the phone, to which he replied 'is there any particular reason for this' and I said no, I'm just naming one because you asked and he then hung up! I tried 1471 but number was withheld. I'm now worried that this person was casing the house and I'm kicking myself for being so daft to have answered the questions but the whole conversation lasted about 2 minutes and he caught me at a weak moment. Anyone else receive any similar calls?
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Hello Susie

It doesnt sound as though you gave him any information he wouldnt have had already and whilst it sounds dubious, he was probably trying his luck

Report the call to the police if it puts your mind at rest and try not to worry

MF
Susie1791

Post by Susie1791 »

Thanks Mini, I agree, I don't think I gave away much either, it was just abit of a worry initially.

:-)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Sounds like a salesman from a double glazing company.

We get lots.

Basically it goes like this:

A sales man calls, offers a special discount. Possibly a 'feature homes' promotion.

They will come around and the salesman will be very charming.

The premise behind this is that 'they don't pay for advertising' as they get all their business by word of mouth. So they as if you are near a school, a post box, a bus stop etc and you will get a b grading (irrespective of any answers you give) and ask if they can erect a board outside your house.

You also have to take their finance package which runs at about 1.5 per month (they wont tell you the APR unless you actually ask them.).

They will then tell you how great their windows are. They may draw a chart stating that B&Q windows are entry level, Brand x and brand Y are in the middle and their company and Everest are the best.

After measuring the windows their 'designer' (they don't call them salesmen) will try to pass off some shoddy pvc rubbish on you for a stupid amount of money.

Then they will show you their amazing 'feature homes promotion' discount.

It will still be expensive.

They will then offer you a further discount if you part with your cash their and then. They will keep tapping away at a calculator offering you a cheaper price.

They never leave you with a written quote.

If you don't order the windows their boss will want to speak to you and will probably try to make you feel bad for not buying them.

DO NOT BUY WINDOWS STRAIGHT AWAY.

You will ALWAYS get a better price if you hang on.

If you really must replace your original sash windows, try to get a decent copy. Don't go for the ones that hinge open. We have them and you have to reach really far to close them.

It's for more cost effective to renovate yoru sash windows, you can get double glazing retro fitted to exisiting sashes and it wont devalue your property.

My quote from Weatherseal for 3 pvc sash windows in a bay and 3 more pvc sash windows for upstairs had an initial quote for...

Wait for it.

£17,500.

With the featurehomes promotion it went down to just under 12,000.

You shouldn't have to pay more than £1000 per window. Infact Everest were about half the price of Weatherseal for proper wooden sash windows!

ALL windows companies these days bead windows internally. They all use Pilkington K Glass. After seeing a lot of window companies in my last flat I have to say Everest were the best in my estimation.

Unfortunately I went with a company called Zenith who were beyond awful (DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT USE A COMPANY FOR YOUR WINDOWS CALL ZENITH). Anglican seemed good quality too. Weatherseal windows are pretty poor. too (although they said they were as good as Everest...which is a joke).

Don't be fooled by dodgy double glazing selling tactics. Only get a salesman around if you really NEED new windows.

Sounds like Susie had a narrow escape!
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Lee - what are the sash windows that 'hinge open'? By the way, it's interesting to hear that the CofE has turned to double-glazing - I know that there are plans to reduce the number of bishops, but if they are now into double-glazing then times must really be hard!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

They aren't proper sash windows, they are the fake ones that hinge from the top.

However some window companies refer to these as 'sash' windows!