Antenatal classes

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Kirsty Christie

Antenatal classes

Post by Kirsty Christie »

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, and wondered if anyone had any recent experiences with local ante natal classes? I'm looking to book something up soon and would like some personal reviews before I try.

Also anyone had any experience with the Lewisham birthing centre? looking for hospital alternatives and would really appreciate some feedback there too.

looking forward to hearing from folks in my neighbourhood.

Kirsty (Mum to be!!!)
Annie.

Re: Antenatal classes

Post by Annie. »

Hi Kirsty and welcome,
Im a bit past it now so no advice on child birth afraid, however you may be better off putting your message into the Kids part of the forum.
Good luck with being a new mum when it happens :0)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
KM

Post by KM »

Hi Kirsty and congratulations on your pregnancy! Exciting times lie ahead!!
I have 2 girls under the age of 4 and both were born at Lewisham. The eldest was born in the labour ward in 2008, very busy, understaffed, bit stressful. After complaining, I learnt they were trying to improve the service and recruit more staff. Then 2 years ago my youngest was born in Lewisham Birth Centre and the staff and facilities were amazing! Couldn't have been more different! Calm, quiet, hands off, nice rooms, lovely birthing pool - dignified really! You will always hear a range of stories about any of the maternity units locally, but I would totally recommend the Birth Centre, if you can use it.
In terms of antenatal classes I believe the NCT offers them. I used the standard classes at Lewisham, which were fine. and I bought a Hyno birthing CD, which was fab and very relaxing and very useful in the awful throes of labour...!
Good luck!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
apcmoomin

Post by apcmoomin »

Hi Kirsty! We attended the antenatal classes at Lewisham Hospital too a couple of years ago. Not sure if it has changed much but found it quite useful with tours of the birth centre, maternity ward and labour wards, tips on breastfeeding, finding out about different methods of pain relief, equipment that may be used in delivering the baby etc etc. I think it was 3 evenings classes run over a 3 week period. Was quite well-attended.

I, too, used the birth centre with birthing pool. I agree with KM, the facilities and staff in the birth center are great. I would recommend it too. However, not everyone can use the birth centre. They'll only admit women who are deemed low risk. HTH. Best of luck!
Hannah6

Post by Hannah6 »

I heard both good and bad reviews but all the care at Lewisham to date has been pretty good. In fact the other day I spoke to a mum who gave birth in the labor ward there 4 months ago - she had quite a traumatic birth with a third degree tear, had to stay in 5 days for surgery etc. but she couldn't fault them, said the care was excellent, so I hope that's a sign things have improved. Midwifery units or birth centers are run by midwives without the medical facilities of a hospital. In a midwifery unit you may feel more relaxed during labor. If your labor is not progressing well, you will be transferred to the nearest hospital.
LILTRACEY

Post by LILTRACEY »

Hi, know you have probably had the baby by now, congrats!! Lol. I thought i'd reply in case anyone else wanted to know. I have just had my antenatal classes in my own home by a private Midwife. It was better for me as I was nervous about role play and stuff. My husband thought it would be better for him too, as he hates traveling! Anyway we used a company called London antenatal and the website is www.londonantenatal.com. Hope that helps :)
Mollie

Post by Mollie »

There are NCT antenatal classes running in Sydenham and the surrounding areas. Check out the main NCT website for more info: nct.org.uk

Also a new Birth and Beyond NCT course is starting in Sydenham in January, so bookings are open for that course too. Contact Julie on: bookings4j@nct.org.uk

I run NCT Postnatal courses and Introducing Solids Workshops so do ask if you want more details of these.

All the best